Policygenius is an insurance marketplace that helps you compare policy quotes from competing insurance companies. Policygenius’s goal is to make it easier to compare insurance quotes from multiple providers to help you find the best option. The Policygenius homeowner’s insurance quote tool is exceptionally easy-to-use, following a simple question and answer format. If you need assistance, Policygenius offers enhanced access to its customer service team, where you can get advice from a licensed insurance professional. Though you cannot fully claim all of your quotes before scheduling a call with a representative, Policygenius may provide you with a low-pressure way to begin exploring your insurance options.
- Homeowners comparing insurance policies
- Customer service staffed by licensed insurance agents
- Quick quote tool available for multiple insurance types
- Automatically receive estimates for bundled auto-home insurance
- Cannot view all quotes before scheduling a call with a representative
- Does not actually sell the insurance policies it quotes
Policy Genius Home Insurance Ratings at a Glance
|Policygenius Home Overall Rating|
|Policygenius Coverage Options|
|Policygenius Customer Service|
|Policygenius User Benefits|
|Policygenius User Experience|
Though Policygenius does not offer a totally online experience, it can be a good first step if you’re in the initial stages of finding homeowner’s insurance. The Policygenius quote request tool is straightforward and even provides you with suggestions if you aren’t sure about the components of your home.
It also allows you to view estimates for both homeowner’s insurance alone and homeowner’s insurance bundled with auto insurance. However, you’ll need to schedule a call with a Policygenius agent before you can explore all of your insurance options, which can be annoying for homeowners simply interested in comparing prices.
Policygenius is not itself an insurance provider — instead, it’s an online platform that allows you to quickly compare insurance options between providers. Policygenius currently allows you to find quotes for:
- Auto insurance
- Homeowner’s insurance
- Auto insurance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Renter’s insurance
- Online wills and trusts
- Pet insurance
- Vision insurance
- Jewelry insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Travel insurance
In addition to quote comparison tools, Policygenius also offers a complete set of insurance guides that can help you learn a little bit more about what you should look for in a policy.
Policygenius also offers a homeowner’s insurance cost calculator to estimate what you might pay based on where you live and your home, as well as a tool for finding bundling deals and discounts when you purchase your home and auto insurance together.
Policygenius offers 3 unique methods that you can use to get in contact with its customer service team.
- Live chat: You can connect with Policygenius experts online by clicking on the icon labeled Live Chat on the bottom of the homepage. Live chat services are monitored from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST Monday through Friday. If you leave a message when live chat is not being actively monitored, a representative will contact you on the next business day for assistance.
- Phone: To get in touch with the Policygenius team by phone, call 1-855-695-2255. Assistance by phone is available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.
- Email: If you’d prefer to leave a message for Policygenius’s team by email, you can send a message to email@example.com.
The average price of a homeowner’s insurance policy in the United States is $1,249 per year — but how does that compare to the insurance search function Policygenius offers?
The following is the most affordable homeowner’s insurance policy offered for a home in Pennsylvania with $250,000 of dwelling coverage, $125,000 of personal property coverage and $300,000 in personal liability coverage.
Policygenius quoted a lower-than-average rate through its comparison tool for a homeowner in Pennsylvania.
While Policygenius did provide a quote below the national average, the company does not inform users which insurance provider offered the lowest quote. In order to finalize the quote and explore additional quotes beyond the lowest offer, customers must schedule a call with a Policygenius representative.
Users enjoy a number of benefits when they work with Policygenius to collect quotes before signing onto an insurance policy. Here are a few of the perks of using Policygenius:
- Instant quote comparisons: The biggest draw of Policygenius is that, instead of individually searching for insurance quotes by requesting a quote from each provider, customers can complete 1 application and view multiple estimates from competing companies. This doesn’t only save you time — it can also expose you to additional insurance providers that you didn’t know were offering homeowner’s insurance in your area.
- Adjustable quotes: As you complete your homeowner’s insurance quote, you might find that you aren’t sure just how much of each coverage type you need. After you receive your quote, Policygenius allows you to return to previous questions to adjust your coverage levels or details about your home without starting an entirely new quote. This allows you to balance costs and coverage by comparing pricing for multiple policy combinations.
- Unbiased advice: Policygenius is not affiliated with or owned by any individual homeowner’s insurance provider. This means that the representatives you consult with before buying your insurance are not incentivized to prioritize some insurance providers over others, providing you with unbiased advice when selecting coverage. It also means that employees are not incentivized to sell you coverages that you don’t really need.
Policygenius’s quote tool provides an overall friendly user experience, especially for those who have never applied for homeowner’s insurance before. The process begins when you complete an online questionnaire, which is streamlined, simple and straightforward.
After answering a few questions about your home and yourself and anyone living in the home with you, Policygenius will collect quotes on your behalf, serving you with the lowest rates. You’ll even be asked to list safety features in your home, like fire extinguishers and burglary systems, so Policygenius can automatically apply discounts to your estimates.
Not sure what type of roofing or heating system is in your home? Policygenius’s quote tool will make suggestions based on common building standards where you live.
While Policygenius’s homeowner’s insurance quote tool is easy-to-use, it does not provide an entirely online solution. Policygenius does not reveal which insurance company offered you your best rate, and you cannot explore additional quotes before scheduling a call with a representative.
This can be an annoyance for homeowners simply looking to compare affordable rates online or who are not ready to commit to a policy yet.
You cannot explore additional quotes beyond your lowest offer until you schedule a call with a Policygenius representative.
Clicking on providers listed under your lowest rate redirects you to each insurance company’s website, where you’ll be asked to complete a quote through that insurance provider’s system. In many cases, this requires inputting some information that you already provided when completing your Policygenius quote, which defeats the point of the system.
Policygenius vs. Competitors
Policygenius has put a number of unique protocols in place that set it apart from other insurance marketplaces.
- Access to multiple insurance types: Many online insurance marketplaces focus on providing you with quotes for a single type of insurance. Policygenius offers quote tools for everything from life insurance to disability insurance, which can be exceptionally convenient if you need to shop for multiple insurance coverages beyond homeowner’s insurance.
- Human support when you need it: Instead of outsourcing customer service to robotic tools like some other marketplaces, Policygenius provides you with multiple methods that you can use to connect with a human team member. Even better, Policygenius provides you with free connections to licensed insurance agents — so you know that the advice you’re receiving is accurate.
- Bundling integrated into quote tools: One of the most common ways to save money on homeowner’s insurance is to bundle it together with an auto insurance policy. Policygenius’s quote tool allows you to integrate bundling into your search for the right homeowner’s insurance.
Get Started with Policygenius
No matter what type of insurance you’re searching for, there’s a good chance that Policygenius will be able to help you in your search. Explore Policygenius’s online tools and extensive educational guides before you apply for a policy to learn more about the coverages you might need.
You can also start your search by checking out Benzinga’s roundup of the best homeowner’s insurance providers here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Policygenius make money?
Policygenius operates as an independent insurance broker, which means it is paid a commission for each insurance policy it sells. Commissions are already included in the quoted price you see, so you won’t pay a hidden fee later on if you find the right coverage through Policygenius.
Does Policygenius sell insurance?
Policygenius itself does not sell insurance. Instead, the company acts as an insurance marketplace, helping you compare quotes from multiple competing companies.